Yield: 1 servings
|-Nancy Speicher DPXX20A|
|1 cup||Blanched almonds|
|1⅓ cup||Granulated sugar|
|⅔ cup||Light-brown sugar; packed|
|⅓ cup||Honey cold water|
|1||Lemon; cut in half|
1. Preheat oven to 300F. Butter inside of 9", 10-cup decorative mold; or use a 10-cup bowl. Grease a large cookie sheet. On another cookie sheet, toast almonds until golden brown - about 20 minutes. In blender or food processor, grind almonds (makes 1½ cups).
2. In a heavy, 3-quart saucepan, combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, honey and water. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar is dissolved.
3. Cook, uncovered and without stirring, to 300F on candy thermometer, or until a few drops of syrup in cold water form hard, brittle threads.
4. Remove from heat; add butter and ground almonds.
5. Pour into prepared cookie sheet. Using the 2 lemon halves and working quickly, smooth out and push from the center to the edge of the cookie sheet until the brittle is ⅛" thick.
6. Lift brittle off the sheet before it is completely cooled and hardened, and mold it against the inside of prepared mold.
7. Cool completely - about 2 hours. Unmold just before it is to be served.
8. To unmold: With spatula, carefully loosen candy from pan; remove.
Makes 1 large bell.
Note: Leftover pieces can be kept in a closed jar at room temperature, or wrapped in aluminum foil.
From McCalls Cookery No. 13