Yield: 8 servings
|3 pounds||Chicken or 2 whole chicken breasts|
|¼ pounds||Raw cashew nuts|
|20 smalls||Chinese mushrooms (or 1 medium-size can mushrooms)|
|½ cup||Bamboo shoot tips (water packed in 15 oz-can)|
|1||Yellow onion, thinly sliced|
|3 tablespoons||Oil, approximately|
|2 cups||Chicken stock|
|1 teaspoon||Thin soy sauce|
|1 tablespoon||Oyster sauce|
|Dash of pepper|
|2||Green onions, slivered|
|3||Thin slices ginger root, slivered|
|2 cups||Oil for deep-frying|
1. Skin and bone chicken. Cut into 2" x ½" pieces.
2. Sprinkle the chicken with each of the ingredients listed under "marinade," mix well, then add the green onions and ginger. Marinate for 1 hour.
3. Heat 2 cups oil to 325 degrees and deep-fry cashew nuts for 5 minutes, drain and salt lightly.
4. Boil Chinese mushrooms for 10 minutes, rinse, squeeze dry, cut off and discard stems. If you use canned mushrooms, omit this step.
5. Cut celery into 1½" pieces, then cut each piece lengthwise into strips, julienne style.
6. Cut bamboo shoot tips into thin slices.
7. Peel water chestnuts (using potato peeler) and cut a little off the top and the bottom of each one. Then cut them into thin slices and soak in water to prevent them from turning dark. (Canned water chestnuts are already peeled.)
8. Heat wok, add 1 t. oil and stir-fry the bamboo tips and water chestnuts together, if you use fresh water chestnuts. (If canned ones are used, stir-fry them separately in 1 teaspoon oil for 1-2 minutes, adding 2 teaspoons sugar.) Set aside.
9. Heat wok, add 1 teaspoon oil and stir-fry mushrooms, celery and yellow onion for 3 minutes, with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon sugar. Set aside.
10. Heat wok, add 2 tablespoons oil and stir-fry marinated chicken for 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, cover and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
11. Add vegetables which have been previously set aside and bring to a fast boil.
12. Thicken with a mixture made with the cornstarch and 2 tablespoon cold water. Bring to a boil, cook for 1 minute and turn off the heat.
13. Add cashew nuts, mix thoroughly, and serve.
Serve alone, or with rice.
SOURCE: Chopsticks, Clever and Wok.