Yield: 6 Servings
|5||Egg whites, room temperature|
|½ teaspoon||Cream of tartar|
|1 cup||Whipping cream, whipped|
|2 tablespoons||Sliced almonds|
|1 pint||Medium strawberries, halved|
|1 teaspoon||Powdered sugar|
1. Beat egg whites with salt until frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat until stiff.
2. Add sugar, one Tbsp at a time, beating constantly until thick about 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
3. Spread meringue in well-greased 8 inch-square baking dish. Place in preheated 450 F oven; turn off heat and close oven door. Leave meringue in oven at least 5 hours or overnight without opening door.
4. Two hours before serving, spread whipped cream over top and refrigerate.
5. Sprinkle almonds over whipped cream and arrange berries attractively over top. Gently sieve powdered sugar over berries.