Yield: 12 Servings
|7 \N||Eggs; separated|
|500 grams||Caster (granulated) sugar (thank god it's metric! :-))|
|250 grams||Semolina (flour)|
|375 grams||Raw cashews; finely chopped|
|2 tablespoons||Rose water|
|½ teaspoon||Finely grated lemon rind|
|½ teaspoon||Ground mace/nutmeg|
|½ teaspoon||Ground cardamom|
|½ teaspoon||Almond essence (optional)|
1. Grease and line a 20cm square tin with two layers of grease-proof paper.
2. Beat the yolks and sugar until light and creamy.
3. Stir in the rest of the ingredients other than the egg whites.
4. Beat egg whites until they are firm peaks. Mix this with the rest and put it into the tin.
5. Bake at 150C for an hour. The cake should be evenly golden brown on top and feel firm to the touch. If the top should get brown too quickly, cover the top with greased paper or foil. The center will finish up moist - so don't use the skewer test.
6. Remove from the oven and leave it in the tin till quite cold. (Do not attempt to take the cake out.) Cut into pieces in the tin and take out the pieces.
From rec.food.cooking archives. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .