Yield: 6 servings
|1 pounds||Lean ground beef|
|1 cup||Corn, canned|
|¼ cup||Green bell peppers -- finely|
|¼ cup||Onions -- finely chopped|
|1 teaspoon||Chili powder|
|⅛ teaspoon||Black pepper|
|8 ounces||Tomato sauce|
|½ teaspoon||Dry mustard|
|½ teaspoon||Worcestershire sauce|
|1½ cup||Cheddar cheese, shredded|
|¼ cup||Sliced black olives|
|¼ cup||Green chiles -- chopped|
|1 cup||All-purpose flour|
|⅓ cup||Bacon fat -- or shortening|
1. Fry bacon until crisp; break into large pieces.
2. Chill ⅓ cup bacon drippings until firm to use for crust, or use vegetable shortening instead.
3. Brown ground beef in large skillet, drain well. Stir in corn, green pepper, onion, corn meal, oregano, chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, tomato sauce and half the mild green chiles. Keep warm while preparing pie crust.
4. CRUST: Combine 1 cup flour and 2 tablespoons cornmeal. Cut in bacon drippings with two knives or pastry blender until mixture is the size of small peas. Sprinkle 3-4 tablespoons water over mixture; stir with fork until dough holds together. Form into a ball and flatten to ½ inch thick. Keep edges smooth. Roll out on a floured surface to a diameter 1-½ inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Fit into pie plate and fold edges to form a rim, then flute edges.
5. Place the ground beef mixture into pie crust. Bake in preheated 425-degree oven for 25 minutes. 6. Combine egg, milk, ½ teaspoon salt, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, half the sliced olives, 2 tablespoons mild green chiles and shredded cheese. Spread on top of beef mixture. Top with bacon and remaining olives. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Recipe By : Jo Anne Merrill