Yield: 4 servings
|1½ cup||Vegetable or other stock|
|¼ teaspoon||Saffron threads|
|¼ cup||Shallots, minced or|
|1 cup||Spanish onion, minced|
|1 tablespoon||Olive oil|
|1 cup||Basmati rice|
|½ cup||Parsley, chopped|
1. In a medium pot, bring the stock to a simmer, remove from the heat. Add the saffron and steep for 30 minutes.
2. In a heavy saucepan, saut the shallot in the olive oil until they are soft, 3-4 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat with the oil.
Pour in the saffron stock and bring to a simmer. Add the salt and pepper.
3. Turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Check to make sure that all the stock has been absorbed.
4. Turn the heat off and let the rice relax, covered, for 15 minutes.
5. Stir in the parsley and serve immediately.
Note: This dish can also be made with brown rice. Increase the cooking and relaxing times for the rice to 30 minutes each.
The Occasional Vegetarian by Karen Lee ISBN 0-446-51792-5 pg 187-188 Submitted By DIANE LAZARUS On 10-04-95