Yield: 4 Servings
|4 tablespoons||Olive oil|
|½ pounds||Portobello mushrooms whiped|
|With a damp cloth; cut in 1"|
|1 medium||Onion,; coarsely chopped|
|4½ cup||Deffated vegetable broth|
|1 cup||Pearl barley; rinsed|
|½ teaspoon||Ground allspice|
|1 tablespoon||Chopped fresh rosemary|
|1 teaspoon||Dried and crubled|
|½ cup||Sweet white wine such as|
|½ cup||Golden raisins|
|Salt and freshly ground|
|2 tablespoons||Flat-leaf parsley for|
Recipe by: Parade Magazine from NY Newsday 1. Place 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium h heat. add the mushroom chunks and cook fro 5 to 7 minutes, stirring ofter. Remove th mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medim-low. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and the onion. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring , until onion is softened.
3. While the onion is cooking, bring the vegetable broth to a boil, in a me sized saucepan. reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
4. Add the barley, allspice and rosemary to the onion. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring , for 1 minute, making sure the barley is ev coated with the oil. add the wine and cook for 5 minutes, stirring , or unt is nearly evaporated.
5. Add the hot broth to the barley mixture, ½ cup at a time; cook stirrin frequently, over medium heat until each addition of broth is absorbed into barley before adding the next.
6. When the barley is tender and nearly all the broth has been absorbed [ a 45 minutes], stir in the reserved mushrooms and the raising. Cook a few min longer- until risotto reaches desired consistency. Season with salt and pee to taste. Serve immediately, sprinklin each portion with chopped parsley.