Yield: 4 Servings
|\N \N||Water to cover|
|1 pinch||Salt (up to)|
|2 cups||Heavy cream|
|2 tablespoons||Powdered sugar|
|1 teaspoon||Vanilla extract|
1. Score chestnuts by making a crisscross cut on the flat side of each one.
2. Bring water to a boil. Add chestnuts and cook until soft (about 40 minutes). Drain, let cool and shell.
3. Mince or grind chestnut meats; then blend in sugar and salt. Shape the mixture as a mound on a serving platter.
4. Whip cream. Then fold in powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Arrange as a topping over chestnut mound.
5. Serve garnished with either preserved kumquats or maraschino cherries; or with "Glazed Fruit for Peking Dust", which must be prepared in advance (see recipe). VARIATION: In step 4, fold half the sweetened whipped cream into the chestnut mixture. Pack the mixture into an oiled mold or bowl; then carefully invert onto a serving platter. Top with remaining whipped cream, and garnish as in step 5.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .