Yield: 12 Naans
|1 teaspoon||Dried yeast|
|75 millilitres||Lukewarm water|
|275 grams||Plain flour|
|¾ teaspoon||Baking powder|
|3 tablespoons||Plain yoghurt|
1. Stir the yeast and sugar into the water and set aside for 15-20 minutes until the liquid is frothy.
2. Sieve together the flour, salt and baking powder. Make a well in the middle, add the yeast liquid, oil and yoghurt and knead for about 10 minutes till soft and no longer sticky.
3. Place the dough in an oiled plastic bag and set aside in a warm place for 2-3 hours until double in size.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C/ 400F. Knead the dough again for 1-2 minutes and divide into 12 balls. Roll into 18cm/ 7 inch rounds.
5. Place as many as possible on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 4-5 minutes each side until brown spots appear. Place them for a few seconds under a hot grill until slightly browned.
6. Wrap the cooked ones in foil while cooking the others.
Compiled by Imran C.
Posted to EAT-L Digest 27 Dec 96 From: "Imran C." <imranc@...> Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 15:17:24 +1000