Yield: 6 servings
|\N \N||-Belle Bestor DFPF73A|
|3 ounces||Bittersweet chocolate; finely chopped|
|¾ cup||Heavy cream|
|3 larges||Egg yolks|
|\N \N||Boiling water|
1. Cut 3 slits in a piece of waxed paper, and use it to line a baking pan large enough to hold 6- ½ cup ramekins, custard cups or petits pots.
2. In medium saucepan, scald the milk over high heat. Stir in the chocolate. Remove from the heat and add the cream; stir to blend. Set aside to cool.
3. In med-size bowl, gently combine yolks and sugar. Do not let the mixture foam. Slowly pour the chocolate mix into the yolk mix, stirring constantly. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Let rest, uncovered, at room temperature, for 1 hour.
4. 325 F oven. Spoon off any foam that may have risen to the surface of the chocolate. Divide evenly among the ramekins. Pour enough boiling water in pan to reach about halfway up the sides. Cover the pan loosely with foil, to prevent a skin from forming. Place in the center of oven and bake until are just set at the edges but still trembling in the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and carefully remove the ramekins from the water.
Refrigerate, loosely covered, for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
Serve the pots de creme well chilled, without unmolding.
"Simply French" Patricia Wells