Yield: 10 servings
|Sugared Flowers, Petals, or Leaves (separate recipe)|
|Pastry (recipe follows)|
|1½ cup||Slivered blanched almonds, toasted|
|½ cup||(1 stick) butter, softened|
|¼ cup||Unsifted all-purpose flour|
|1 teaspoon||Almond extract|
NOTE: This elegant tart with sugared-flower topping can be made with an almond filling for a spectacular holiday dessert or without the filling for a table or sideboard holiday display that will last several days.
1. Several hours or day before, prepare Sugared Flowers, Petals, or Leaves. At least 45 minutes before, prepare Pastry.
2. Heat oven to 375'F. On floured surface, roll out pastry to 11 -inch round. Fit pastry into 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom.
Line pastry shell with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or beans. Bake 10 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake shell 10 minutes longer. Set aside. If making for display, cool and fill with Sugared Flowers. Petals, or Leaves at this point.
3. In food processor fitted with chopping blade, grind 1 C almonds with the sugar until very fine. 4. In large bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and almond-sugar mixture until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in flour and almond extract just until combined and stiff batter forms.
5. Sprinkle remaining ½ C almonds over bottom of tart shell. Gently pour batter over almonds.
6. Bake tart 20 minutes or until golden. Cool completely on wire rack.
Remove tart from pan; place on serving platter and top with Sugared Flowers, Petals, or Leaves. Cut into 10 wedges to serve. Pastry: In medium-size bowl, combine 1¼ C unsifted all-purpose flour and ¼ t salt. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 6 ½ T butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 2 to 3 T cold water, 1 T at a time, over flour mixture and mix lightly with fork until pastry is moist enough to press into a ball. Wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Country Living Holidays/1994 Scanned & edited by Di Pahl & <gg>