Yield: 1 Info
Not all flowers are edible. Some delicious looking plants are poisonous, and eating them could lead to serious illness or death.
For instance, there are 60 commercial varieties of pansies, and only three that are specifically for eating. Choose flowers only from edible plants or those listed in a reliable source. Flowers also should be eaten only in the amounts specified in recipes.
Persons who are prone to allergies can have an allergic reaction to flowers, as to any food. Proceed with caution when trying unfamiliar flowers. If you have any doubt about the identity of a flower, do not eat it. Your best bet is to use flowers commercially grown especially for eating. Linda Beaulieu.
Source: The National Culinary Review, June'94