Yield: 14 cornsticks
|1¼ cup||Unsifted all-purpose flour|
|1 tablespoon||Baking powder|
|¼ cup||(1/2 stick) butter, melted|
|1 \N||Large egg|
1. Heat oven to 425'F. Generously grease 14 cast-iron cornstick molds (2 pans) with vegetable shortening. Place pans in oven to heat.
2. In large bowl, combine flour, corn-meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. In small bowl, beat buttermilk, butter, and egg until well combined. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture. Stir just until dry ingredients are completely moistened; batter wil1 be lumpy.
4. Spoon batter evenly into hot, prepared cornstick pans. Bake cornsticks 10 to 15 minutes or until centers spring back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans and Cool cornsticks completely on wire rack. Store in airtight container.
5. Cornsticks can be frozen, tightly wrapped, for several weeks. To reheat, defrost cornsticks. Heat oven to 375'F. Sprinkle cornsticks with a little water, wrap in aluminum foil and heat in oven 5 to 10 minutes or until just warmed through.
Country Living/June/90 Scanned & fixed by DP & GG