Yield: 12 Servings
|5 ounces||Cellophane noodles (made from bean or yam curd not rice)|
|½ pounds||Chinese pea pods; strings removed|
|½ cup||Rice vineger|
|3 tablespoons||Soy sauce|
|1½ tablespoon||Minced fresh ginger|
|1 tablespoon||Dry mustard; mixed until smooth with:|
|1 tablespoon||Asian sesame oil (up to)|
|3 cups||Boned and skinned cooked chicken|
|1 tablespoon||Salad oil|
|2||Cloves garlic; thinly sliced|
|1 cup||Thinly slivered red onion|
|2 tablespoons||Lemon juice|
|2 larges||Red or yellow bell peppers; stemmed, seeded, diced|
|6 cups||Tender salad greens; about, rinsed and crisped|
|½ cup||Finely chopped fresh cilantro|
Debra Ellis <deb@...>
1. In a 4-6 qt pan, bring about 2 qts water to boiling. Add noodles and return to boiling,stirring once. Remove and let stand until tender to bite, 10-15 min.. Pour into colander and, with scissors,snip noodles to make shorter strands. Drain at least 10 min.
2. In the same pan, bring 6 cups water to boiling on high heat. Add peas and cook just until bright green, about 1 min. Drain, and at once immerse into ice cold water until cold: drain.
3. Mix rice vinegar,soy,ginger,sugar,mustard mixture, and sesame seed oil.
4. Tear chicken into thin strips, discarding any fat. set aside.
5. Pour 1 Tbsp oil into wok or 12-in. fry pan over high heat. Add garlic and stir-fry until pale gold,about 1 min. Add onion,lemon juice,and 2 Tbsp water. Stir-fry until liquid evaporates and onion is limp, about 3 min.; scoop from pan with slotted spoon; add to chicken.
6. To pan, add peppers and 2 Tbsp water; stir-fry over high heat just until peppers are barely limp, about 2 min. With slotted spoon, scoop peppers into a small bowl. If making ahead, chill onion,chichen, and peppers up to 7. Shake noodles in colander to remove last drops of water,then pour into a bowl and mix with about ⅓ of the dressing.
8. Mix salad greens with all but 1 Tbsp of chopped cilantro and arrange on a large platter. Mound noodles on greens. Arrange chicken mixture,peas,and peppers on and around noodles. Top with remaining dressing and sprinkle with remaining chopped cilantro. Mix well. Garnish with cilantro leaves..... per serve: 301 cal (85 cal. 28% from fat):20 g protein: 9⅖ g fat: 33 g carbo:
587 mg sodium:52 mg chol. FROM JULY ISSUE OF SUNSET ( SOMETHING FOR THOSE HOT DAYS THAT ARE FAR AND FEW RIGHT NOW) CHILE-HEADS ARCHIVES
From the Chile-Heads recipe list. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .