Yield: 6 Servings
|1⅛ cup||All-purpose flour|
|⅛ cup||Chilled butter; cut into pieces|
|1 large||Egg (up to)|
|3 tablespoons||Ice water|
|4 cups||Cubed cooked chicken|
|1 pounds||Fresh mushrooms; sliced|
|¼ cup||Dry white wine or water|
|1½ cup||Whipping cream|
|2 tablespoons||All-purpose flour|
|½ teaspoon||Black pepper|
|¾ cup||Reduced sodium chicken broth|
|1 large||Egg; lightly beaten|
1. To prepare pastry, in a medium bowl, mix together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into flour until coarse crumbs form.
2. In a small bowl, beat together egg and water. Add to the flour mixture; mix lightly until a soft dough forms. Shape into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. To prepare the filling, place chicken in a 2 quart casserole.
4. In large skillet, melt butter over low heat. Add mushrooms; increase the heat to medium-high; and saut until browned and the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add the wine; cook until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add mushroom mixture to chicken; stir to combine.
5. In a medium saucepan, whisk together cream, flour, paprika, salt, and pepper, over low heat; cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in broth. Pour sauce over chicken mixture.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 7. On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the pastry to fit the top of the casserole. Place on top of pie; trim and seal the edges.
8. Roll out trimmings. Cut out leaves and flowers. Brush pastry with glaze; add the decorations; brush again with glaze.
9. Bake until filling is bubbly and crust is browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.
FROM "GREAT AMERICAN HOME
From a collection of my mother's (Judy Hosey) recipe box which contained lots of her favorite recipes, clippings, etc. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .