Yield: 8 servings
|⅔ cup||Granulated sugar|
|1 can||(12-oz) evaporated milk|
|2||3-inch cinnamon sticks|
|1 cup||Canned pumpkin|
|¼ cup||Firmly packed light-brown sugar|
|2 teaspoons||Vanilla extract|
1. Heat oven to 350'F. Lightly oil a fluted 8- by 2-inch metal mold or flan dish. In heavy, large skillet, melt granulated sugar over low heat without stirring until golden brown. Do not stir sugar as it melts; in- stead swirl the skillet from time to time to facilitate even melting. Pour melted sugar, or caramel, into oiled mold, tilting quickly to coat bottom; set aside.
2. In same skillet, heat undiluted milk and cinnamon sticks over medium-low heat until bubbles appear around side of skillet, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and discard cinnamon sticks.
3. In medium-size bowl, with wire whisk, combine pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Beat in heated milk until well mixed. Pour into mold. Place mold in a 13- by 9-inch baking pan and add enough hot water to come halfway up the mold.
4. Bake flan 65 to 75 minutes or until a knife inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from hot water and cool on wire rack to room temperature. Refrigerate flan until ready to serve-at least 3 hours.
5. To serve, loosen flan around the edge with a small spatula and place inverted rimmed plate on top. Holding plate and flan mold, invert to unmold flan.
Country Living/Nov/93 Scanned & fixed by DP & GG