Yield: 2 Servings
|2 tablespoons||Green pepper, chopped|
|2 tablespoons||Onion, chopped|
|1 cup||Dried kidney beans; cooked (unsalted, drained*)|
|½ cup||Tomato puree|
|1 cup||Whole-kernel corn|
|1½ teaspoon||Chili powder|
|⅓ cup||Yellow cornmeal|
|¼ teaspoon||Chili powder|
2 servings of about 1 cup filling and ⅓ cup cornmeal mush each 296 calories per serving
1. Cook green pepper and onion in off in small (8-inch) frypan until tender.
2. Stir in beans, tomato puree, corn, 1-½ teaspoons chili powder, and ⅛ teaspoon salt.
3. Cover and cook over low heat until flavors are blended--about 15 minutes.
4. Mix cornmeal, water, and 1/16 teaspoon salt.
5. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until very thick-about 3 minutes.
6. Spread cornmeal mush over bean mixture to form a crust.
7. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon chili powder over top of crust.
8. Cook over low heat, with lid ajar, until topping is set--about 7 minutes.
*NOTE: 1 cup canned kidney beans, drained, may be used in place of cooked dried kidney beans; then omit the ⅛ teaspoon salt in step 2.
About 270 calories per serving. * Thrifty Meals for Two: Making Food Dollars Count * USDA Home and Garden Bulletin Number 244 * Meal-Master format courtesy of Karen Mintzias