Yield: 1 Servings
|2||Whole chickens; (3 1/2 to 3 3/4 lbs. each), quartered|
|1 teaspoon||Salt; divided|
|¼ teaspoon||Freshly ground pepper; divided|
|3 pounds||Green; red and yellow peppers, cut into 1-inch strips|
|5 mediums||Onions; (1 1/2 lbs.), quartered|
|1 tablespoon||Olive oil|
|⅔ cup||Chicken broth|
|⅔ cup||Balsamic vinegar|
|1 tablespoon||Minced garlic|
|½ teaspoon||Rosemary; crushed|
|Fresh rosemary sprigs; for garnish|
|Cooked jasmine; basmati or long-grain rice|
Don't let the amount of balsamic vinegar throw you: Its mild acidity, combined with the pan drippings from the roasted chicken, give this dish a wonderfully rich and mellow flavor. To save fat grams, discard the skin.
Prep time: 25 minutes Roasting time: 60 to 65 minutes Degree of difficulty: easy
1. Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Heat oven to 475°F.
2. Arrange chicken in 11x17-inch roasting pan; sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Toss peppers and onions with oil in 15 1/2x10½-inch jelly-roll pan; sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and remaining pepper.
3. Roast chicken on upper rack. After 10 minutes, place peppers and onions on lower rack. Roast both for 30 minutes.
4. Remove chicken from oven; transfer to plate. Stir peppers and onions; roast 10 to 20 minutes more until browned and caramelized.
5. Meanwhile, transfer pan drippings from roasting pan into a large glass measure; skim off fat. Stir in chicken broth, vinegar, garlic, oregano, rosemary and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Return chicken to pan. Spoon pan-drippings mixture over chicken; return to oven and roast 20 to 25 minutes more, basting once after 10 minutes.
6. Transfer vegetables to serving platter; cover and keep warm. (Vegetables roast a total of 40 to 50 minutes.) When chicken is cooked through, arrange on platter. (Chicken cooks a total of 60 to 65 minutes.) Spoon ¼ cup sauce if desired over top. To serve, pass remaining sauce. Garnish with rosemary and serve with rice, if desired.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
PER SERVING Calories 645 Total Fat 35 g Saturated Fat 9½ g Cholesterol 185 mg Sodium 610 mg Carbohydrates 19 g Protein 61 g DAILY GOAL Calories 2,000 (F), 2,500 (M) Total Fat 60 g or less (F), 70 g or less (M) Saturated Fat 20 g or less (F), 23 g or less (M) Cholesterol 300 mg or less Sodium 2,400 mg or less Carbohydrates 250 g or more Protein 55 g to 90 g >From Cajun Joe
Posted to recipelu-digest by "Joe" <Broutek@...> on Mar 10, 1998