Yield: 4 servings
|4 ounces||Soft-spreadable cheese with garlic and herbs|
|2 \N||Whole chicken breasts, boned, halved, and skin removed|
|1 teaspoon||Dried tarragon leaves|
|¼ teaspoon||Garlic powder|
|1 can||28 oz Whole peeled tomatoes, drained and coarsley chopped|
|2 slices||White bread, crusts removed and discarded, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes|
|1 small||Onion, finely chopped|
|¾ cup||Long-grained white rice, uncooked|
|¼ cup||Frozen green peas|
|5 tablespoons||Butter, cut into pieces|
|¼ cup||White wine|
|12 mediums||Mushrooms, stems removed and discarded (or save stems to flavor soups and stews)|
|3 tablespoons||Chopped pitted ripe olives|
|\N \N||Fresh thyme sprigs (opt.)|
|1 \N||Celery stalk, chopped|
|1 teaspoon||Dried oregano leaves|
|¼ teaspoon||Ground black pepper|
|2 tablespoons||Packaged seasoned bread crumbs|
|½ teaspoon||Saffron threads, crushed|
|¼ teaspoon||White ground pepper|
|1 tablespoon||Butter or margarine|
1. Heat oven to 325'F. Prepare Tomato Pudding and Saffron Rice.
2. Meanwhile, grease a 9-inch square baking pan. Spread cheese under the flap of flesh (the tenderloin) on the un- derside of the chicken breast halves, replacing tenderloin to cover cheese. (If the tenderloin is removed from the breasts cut a thin flap into the underside of each breast to make a pocket for the cheese.) Place breasts, cheese side down, into baking pan.
3. In small bowl, combine tarragon, salt, and garlic powder; sprinkle tarragon mixture and 4 T butter over tops of chicken breasts. Pour wine into baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until breasts are firm to touch and cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, in large skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining 1 T butter until golden. Fill mushroom-cap cavities with chopped olives.
During last 5 minutes of baking, place mushroom caps, olive side up, into baking pan with chicken.
5. Just before serving, with sharp knife, make 4 partial crosswise cuts through each chicken breast, leaving V4 inch at thicker edge uncut. Spoon rice onto 4 serving plates. On each plate, fan out a chicken breast over the rice. Place 3 stuffed mushrooms and spoon some To- mato Pudding on one side of rice. Garnish plates with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Tomato Pudding: In 1-quart casserole, combine tomatoes, white bread, onion, celery, sugar, oregano leaves, salt, and ground black pepper.
Sprinkle top of tomato mixture with seasoned bread crumbs.
Bake at 325'F for 1 hour.
Saffron Rice: In 1-quart casserole, combine water, rice, frozen green peas, saffron threads, salt, and ground white pepper. Cover with aluminum foil or lid and bake at 325'F for 45 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in butter or margarine.
Country Living/Sept/90 Scanned & fixed by DP & GG