Yield: 4 servings
|¾ cup||Cannellini Or Great Northern Beans -- dried|
|1 teaspoon||Coriander Seed|
|¼ teaspoon||Black Peppercorns|
|1 \N||Sprig Fresh Thyme|
|4 \N||Sprigs Parsley|
|1 \N||Bay Leaf|
|¾ cup||Onions -- sliced|
|¾ cup||Celery -- sliced|
|¾ cup||Leeks, White & Light Green Parts Only -- washed & sliced|
|1 teaspoon||Garlic -- minced|
|1 teaspoon||Kosher Salt|
|2 ounces||Prosciutto -- finely diced|
|4 cups||Broccoli Flowerets|
|2 teaspoons||Balsamic Vinegar|
|\N \N||Black Pepper -- freshly ground|
|¼ cup||Parmigiano-Reggiano -- shred/coarse grate|
1. Soak the beans in water overnight or for at least 6 hours.
2. Make an herb bundle: In a small piece of clean cheesecloth, place the coriander seeds, peppercorns, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf. Close the bundle by tying with a piece of kitchen twine.
3. Melt the butter over a medium flame in a 3-qt saucepan; add the onions, celery, leeks, and garlic. Cook for 10 mins., until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Add the herb bundle, beans, and 8 cups of water.
4. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and gently simmer, covered, for 1½ hours. Season with the salt and cook for an additional 30 mins, or until the beans are tender.
5. Discard the herb bundle, add the prosciutto and the broccoli, and simmer 3 to 5 mins, until cooked. Just before serving, stir in the balsamic vinegar and season with freshly ground black pepper to your taste. Pour the soup into warm bowls and garnish with the grated Parigiano.
Recipe By : The Union Square Cafe Cookbook - ISBN 0-06-017013-1 (159) Fido: Cooking