Yield: 5 Cups
|1 tablespoon||Kosher salt|
|1 cup||Extra-virgin olive oil|
|4 \N||Cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 tablespoon||Dijon mustard|
|\N \N||Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
1. Halve the eggplants lengthwise, score with a knife, and sprinkle lightly with the kosher salt. Cover with a heavy plate and weigh down the plate to press out the moisture for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Oil a baking sheet.
3. Squeeze out any excess water from the eggplants. Place the eggplant halves, skin sides up, on the baking sheet. Bake until the meat is completely soft, 35 to 45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. When cool enough to handle, skin the eggplants. Chop the pulp and tie in a large square of dampened cheesecloth. Let hang above the sink or a bowl until most of the liquid has drained off, about 15 minutes.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, mustard, and salt and pepper. Add the eggplant pulp and stir to mix. Cover and refrigerate for 1 day before serving.
Posted to EAT-L Digest 13 Feb 97 by Felicia Pickering <MNHAN063@...> on Feb 14, 1997.