Yield: 6 servings
|1½ pounds||Round steak in 6 thin pieces|
|\N \N||Salt and black pepper to taste|
|¼ cup||+ 2 Tbl Dijon mustard|
|6 slices||Cooked bacon, crumbled|
|½ cup||Chopped onion|
|1 cup||Chopped carrots|
|6 \N||Dill pickle spears|
|2 tablespoons||Vegetable oil|
1. Preheat broiler.
2. lb each piece of beef between two pieces of waxed paper to 6 inch diameter (about ⅛ inch thick); sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Place meat on rack in pan 4 inches from heat and broil for 1 minute on each side.
4. Spread each piece of meat with 1 tbs of mustard. Sprinkle evenly with bacon; top with equal amounts of carrot, onion, and 1 pickle spear. Roll up and secure with a wooden toothpick.
5. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brown meat rolls on all sides.
6. Add 1 inch water to skillet. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until beef is tender. Remove to a warm serving dish. Pour the pan juices into a sauce bowl. Remove toothpicks before serving. Pass the sauce separately.
Makes six servings.