Yield: 4 Servings
|1 tablespoon||Poppy seeds|
|2 tablespoons||Low-fat milk|
|2 tablespoons||Flaked coconut|
|1 small||Red onion, coarsely chopped|
|2||Cloves garlic, coarsely chopped|
|1||1" piece fresh ginger root, peeled, coarsely chopped|
|1 tablespoon||Canola or vegetable oil|
|3 larges||Ripe plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped|
|½ teaspoon||Fennel seeds, crushed|
|½ teaspoon||Ground cumin|
|½ teaspoon||Ground turmeric|
|½ teaspoon||Ground coriander|
|¼ teaspoon||Cayenne pepper|
|¼ cup||Vegetable broth or water|
|1⅓ pounds||Rockfish fillets, cut in 4 pieces|
|2 tablespoons||Fresh lime juice|
1. Combine the poppy seeds and milk in a small bowl and set aside for 30 minutes.
2. In a small dry skillet, toast the coconut for a few minutes until golden. Set aside.
3. Puree the onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. When hot, add the onion puree and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, fennel seeds, cumin, turmeric, coriander, cayenne, salt and broth. Simmer, partly covered, 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the poppy seed-milk mixture and coconut.
4. Put the rockfish into the pan, spooning some of the sauce over each piece. Cover and cook over medium heat 10 minutes, or until the fish flakes with a fork.
5. Sprinkle with lime juice and serve.
NOTES : Adapted from "Makan-lah! The True Taste of Malaysia" by Carol Selva Rajah. MC formatted 2/25/97 by MsRooby@...
Recipe by: Seattle Times 2/12/97 Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #485 by "Rooby" <MsRooby@...> on Feb 26, 1997.