Yield: 6 servings
|1 \N||Beef Tongue NOTE!!|
This is a favorite dish of my family's, especially on holidays like Easter and Christmas. Most people cringe at the idea of eating a cow's tongue, but actually the meat is very tender, and even if you have to close your eyes and plug your nose to try it, please do. I guarantee it won't be what you expect! 3C. Red Wine Vinegar Make sure to use glass 1 2 Bulbs Garlic bowls and pans when cooking 1 1/2C. Virgin Olive Oil the tongue, as metal will 1/4C. Parsley (dried or fresh) change the flavor of the 3/4T. Sweet Basil meat, leaving it tasting 1/2T. Rosemary metallic.
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Place tongue in glass saucepan with enough water to cover it.
2. Bring water to boil slowly over a medium heat and continue boiling for approx. 45 min.- hour.
3. While the tongue is boiling, prepare the marinade in a glass bowl.
4. In bowl, combine the olive oil and red wine vinegar. Use a garlic press to crush the cloves, or you can crush them with the flat side of a knife.
rest of the herbs and spices.
6. When the tongue has cooled enough to handle, peel by slicing thinly with a sharp paring knife, removing all the taste buds and the fat at the base of the tongue. Then proceed in slicing the tongue widthwise.
lid, and layer with the marinade.
8. Put the mixture in the fridge with the lid on and allow it to remain there, unopened for at least 4 days.
9. When you are ready to serve the tongue, remove it from the fridge an hour before, as this dish is best at room temp.