Yield: 6 servings
|2||Cornish game hens, 1/2'd lengthwise, backbones removed|
|¼ teaspoon||Dried basil|
|¼ teaspoon||Dried oregano|
|⅛ teaspoon||Freshly ground pepper|
|1 tablespoon||Butter or margarine|
|1 tablespoon||Olive oil|
|2||Shallots, finely chopped|
|½ cup||Dry white wine|
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Simple & elegant. Serve w/ California Sauvignon Blanc or an Italian Pinot Grigio.
1. Preheat oven to 350o. Season hens w/ basil, oregano, salt & pepper.
2. In a large frying pan, melt butter in oil over moderately high heat. Add hens & saute, turning once, 4 minutes a side, until browned. Transfer to a small baking dish.
3. Add shallots to pan, reduce heat to low & saute until soft, 1½ minutes.
Add white wine & bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan.
Pour over hens.
4. Cover w/ foil & bake 20 minutes, basting occasionally w/ pan juices.
5. Reduce heat to 425o, uncover & bake 5 minutes until hens are tender & skin