Yield: 6 Servings
|6||Dried black mushrooms|
|1||Duck; 4 to 5 pounds|
|2 teaspoons||Soy sauce|
|Oil for deep-frying|
|4 slices||Fresh ginger root|
|1||Clove star anise|
|1 tablespoon||Soy sauce|
|Water to cover|
|½ cup||Duck liquid|
|½ cup||Bamboo shoots|
|1½ cup||Duck liquid|
|½ cup||Smoked ham|
|½ cup||Chinese parsley|
1. Soak dried mushrooms.
2. Wipe duck inside and out with a damp cloth. Dry well with paper toweling or hang up to dry in a cool, airy place 1 to 2 hours.
3. Rub duck lightly with soy sauce. Then truss (see "HOW-TO SECTION").
4. Heat oil to boiling. Using a wire basket or long-handled Chinese strainer, gently lower in duck and deep-fry, basting and turning, until golden. Drain quickly. Rinse in a pan of cold water and drain again. Untie duck.
5. Transfer bird to a large heatproof bowl. Dice giblets; slice ginger root and add, along with star anise. Combine sherry, salt, honey and remaining soy sauce and pour over. Meanwhile boil water in another pan, and also pour over duck.
6. Steam by the bowl-in-a-pot method until duck is done, but still firm (about 1-¾ hours). See "HOW-TO SECTION".
7. Remove duck and let cool. Bone; then cut meat in bite-size squares, each with a piece of skin. Strain duck liquid, skimming off fat.
8. Return duck squares, skin-side up, to heatproof bowl. Add strained duck liquid and steam 15 minutes more.
9. Meanwhile shred bamboo shoots, celery and soaked mushrooms. In a saucepan, bring remaining duck liquid to a boil. Add shredded vegetables and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
10. Cut smoked ham in strips. Chop Chinese parsley. Blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste and stir into duck liquid to thicken. Pour over duck squares and serve, garnished with ham strips and chopped parsley.
NOTE: This recipe can be made with chicken as well as duck.
1. In step 5, omit the seasonings given and pour over duck and giblets the following mixture: 1-½ cups stock; 1 slice fresh ginger root and 1 clove garlic, both minced; and 1 cup canned button mushrooms. Also omit the water.
2. In step 10, arrange duck squares on a serving platter over 1 head lettuce, shredded; or over 1 pound of any of the following: asparagus, broccoli, Chinese cabbage, mushrooms, mustard greens, onions or spinach.
(These must be stir-fried first.) From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .