Yield: 1 Servings
|2 larges||Egg whites|
|1 dash||Cream of tartar|
|3 tablespoons||(packed) dark brown sugar|
|1 teaspoon||Instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder|
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line one or two cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly spray with cooking spray (wipe off excess with a paper towel).
2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. With mixer running, alternately add 1 T. at a time of the sugar and brown sugar. Sprinkle in a little coffee at a time between the additions of sugar.
3. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
4. Using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, pipe into small (1"-2") mounds on the cookie sheets. Or, if you don't have a pastry bag, use a spoon to drop small dollops onto the cookie sheet.
5. Bake about 45 minutes until meringues are dry and can be easily lifted from the sheet. To aid in the drying process, do not open oven door until near the end of the baking time.
I think these generally come out to 15-30 calories apiece. For an accurate calorie count, divide 480 (total calories in the recipe) by the number of meringues you get out of it.
Posted to TNT - Prodigy's Recipe Exchange Newsletter by Lee Theis <theis@...> on Nov 04, 1997