Yield: 6 servings
|2 tablespoons||Vegetable shortening|
|1||Green bell pepper,fine chop|
|5 cups||Warm chicken broth|
|½ pounds||Okra,cut into 1/4" pieces|
|½ cup||Uncooked rice|
1. In large Dutch oven, melt shortening over low heat; add flour and cook, stirring, until brown, about 10 minutes (do not hurry; if flour burns, roux is ruined).
2. Add onions and bell pepper; cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Slowly add warm broth; stir until broth reaches a boil.
4. Add tomatoes, okra, rice, celery, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
5. Add chicken; when mixture boils again, reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 20 minutes.
6. Stir and cook, covered, 20 minutes longer.