Yield: 50 servings
|4 cups||Pecans; finely chopped|
|2 teaspoons||Cinnamon; ground|
|1 cup||Semisweet chocolate chips, m|
|1 pack||Filo dough|
|¾ cup||Orange juice|
|1 teaspoon||Vanilla extract|
|Thin chocolate glaze; (recip|
Recipe by: 365 Great Chocolate Desserts - ISBN 0-06-016537-5 Preparation Time: 1:30
1. In a small skillet, melt butter over low heat. Let stand a few mins. Skim off and discard white foam from top and do not use any milky residue that sinks to bottom. The clear yellow liquid is clarified butter.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, combine pecans, cinnamon, ¼ cup sugar, and chocolate chips; mix well. Open and stack filo sheets on a damp towel. Cover with a damp towel to prevent drying out. Brush a 12 x 18-in sheet cake pan with clarified butter. Layer half of filo sheets (about 10 x 12) in pan, brushing each sheet with butter. Spread half of nut mixture evenly over layered filo sheets.
Brush next filo sheet on both sides with butter; then place on top of nuts. Add 5 or 6 more filo sheets, brushing each sheet with butter.
Top with remaining nut mixture. Butter next filo sheet on both sides and place on top of nuts. Top with remaining filo sheets, brushing each with butter.
3. Using a sharp knife, cut pastry into 50 diamond-shaped pieces. Do not remove pastry from pan. Brush top with remaining clarified butter. Bake 40 to 50 mins, or until golden.
4. About 30 mins before baklava is finished baking, in a small saucepan, combine remaining ½ cup sugar and orange juice. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 mins. Stir in vanilla. Pour hot orange syrup over hot pastry as soon as it is removed from oven. Let stand until cool, 4 hours or over night.
5. When baklava is cool, drizzle Thin Chocolate Glaze on top. Allow glaze to set up before serving. Baklava may be kept, covered, 4 to 5 days at room temperature. Freeze for longer storage.
THIN CHOCOLATE GLAZE 2 (1-oz) squares semisweet chocolate 1 Tbs butter In a small glass bowl, combine chocolate, butter, and 1 Tbs water.
Heat in microwave on High 30 to 45 secs, or until melted and smooth when stirred. Submitted By BOBBI ZEE On 08-27-95