Yield: 4 Servings
|1 slice||Fresh ginger root|
|2 tablespoons||Soy sauce|
1. Prepare uncooked porkballs as in steps 1 and 2 of Basic Deep-fried Porkballs (see recipe).
2. Break cauliflower into small flowerets. Shred ginger root.
3. Heat oil in a heavy pan. Add salt and ginger, then porkballs. Brown lightly; then remove from pan.
4. Heat remaining oil. Add cauliflower and stir-fry to coat with hot oil (about 2 minutes). Return porkballs.
5. Add stock. Bring to a boil; then simmer, covered, until pork is cooked through and cauliflower is tender, but still crunchy (about 8 minutes).
6. Blend cornstarch, soy sauce, sugar and cold water to a paste, then stir in to thicken sauce.
NOTE: Uncooked porkballs may be prepared a day or two in advance, provided they are parboiled for several minutes, then drained, cooled and refrigerated until needed.
VARIATION: For the cauliflower, substitute either 1 pound string beans, stemmed and cut in thirds; or broccoli, broken in flowerets, and the stems cut diagonally in ¼-inch slices.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .