Yield: 10 servings
|1 medium||White onion; finely chopped|
|1 tablespoon||Minced garlic|
|12 ounces||White button mushrooms chopped|
|1 medium||Portobello mushroom; chopped|
|½ teaspoon||Celery seed|
|2½ cup||Cooked wild rice|
|3 tablespoons||Vegetarian Worcestershire sauce|
|4 larges||Eggs; separated|
|½ cup||Unbleached white flour|
|1 cup||Finely grated Parmesan cheese|
Makes 40 2-inch pancakes
These freeze well. To reheat, lay on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake in a 350 F oven, for 10 to 15 minutes, until heated through.
1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saute pan over low heat. Saute onion and garlic in butter until onions are translucent, about 4 minutes.
Transfer cooked onions and garlic to a large bowl.
2. Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter ir same saute pan. Add mushrooms, thyme sage, and celery seed. Saute over medium heat until mushrooms are lightly browned and juices are somewhat absorbed, about 10 minutes.
3. Add cooked mushrooms to bowl with onions. Add cooked wild rice, Worcester-shire sauce, and salt. Mix well.
4. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Add to rice and mushroom mixture, along with flour and Parmesan cheese. Stir until well combined.
5. In a medium bowl, whip egg whites until stiff but moist. Gently fold into batter.
6. Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons onto hot pan, and cook until browned and crisp on both sides, flipping once.
PER 2 PANCAKES: 104 CAL (50% from fat). 4g PROT. 6g FAT, 6g CARB, 275mg SOD, 88mg CHOL. 1g FIBER
By "Karen C. Greenlee" <greenlee@...> on Mar 13, 1999.
Recipe by: Veggie Life Magazine, November 1998, page 45 Converted by MM_Buster v2.0l.