Yield: 1 servings
|2 pounds||Fresh spinach; rinsed and stemmed|
|2 tablespoons||Unsalted butter|
|1 small||Onion; finely chopped|
|½ cup||Prosciutto; finely chopped|
|1 pounds||Fresh ricotta|
|1½ cup||All-purpose flour; plus 2 tbsp.|
|1½ cup||Freshly grated parmigiano- reggiano|
|¼ teaspoon||Freshly grated nutmeg|
|¼ teaspoon||Freshly ground pepper|
|8 tablespoons||Unsalted butter|
|6||Fresh sage leaves|
SAGE BUTTER SAUCE
How to Prepare the Gnocchi:
1. Put the spinach in a large pot over medium heat with just the water that clings to the leaves. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until wilted and tender. Drain and cool. Squeeze out as much water as possible. Finely chop the spinach.
2. In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the prosciutto and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the chopped spinach. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
3. Line 2 jelly-roll pans with wax paper.
4. With a wooden spoon, beat in the ricotta, 1½ cup of the flour, 1 cup of the Parmigiano, the eggs, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. The mixture will be soft.
5. Spread the remaining 2 Tbsp. flour on a dinner plate. Lightly flour your hands and shape the gnocchi mixture into balls about ¾ inch in diameter, rolling them lightly in the flour. Put the gnocchi on the pans, cover, and refrigerate for up to several hours until ready to cook.
6. Bring a large pot of cold water to a simmer and add salt. Don't let the water boil or the gnocchi may break. Add the gnocchi in two batches, dropping them in a few at a time to prevent sticking. After the gnocchi rise to the surface, cook for 1-2 minutes more. Remove the gnocchi with a slotted spoon or skimmer and transfer to a warm platter. Drizzle with the sauce and sprinkle with the remaining Parmigiano.
How to Prepare the Sage Butter Sauce: 1. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.
2. Add the sage leaves and salt. Cook until the butter is lightly browned, 4-6 minutes.
3. Keep warm over very low heat.
Copyright credit: 1997 by Broadway Books, a division of Bantam, Doubleday, Dell Publishing Group, Incup
© 1997 Lifetime Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.
MC formatted using MC Buster by Barb at PK Converted by MM_Buster v2.0l.