Yield: 6 Servings
3 c basmati rice -- long grain 3½ c water -- see detail
1 ts salt
2 TB olive oil
¼ ts saffron -- dissolved in
1 TB hot water
Cooking times will vary according to brands of rice and manufacturers of cookers. The note gives more detail. Refer, also, to the recipe for Chelow which details technique.
1. Pick over and wash 3 cups of rice 5 times in warm water.
2. Combine all the ingredients except the saffron water in the rice cooker; gently stir with a wooden spoon and start the cooker.
3. After 1 ½ hours, pour saffron water on top of rice. Unplug rice cooker.
4. Allow to cool for 10 minutes without uncovering the pot.
5. Remove lid and place a round serving dish over the pot. Hold the dish and the pot tightly together and turn them over to unmold rice.
The rice will be like a cake. Cut into wedges and serve.
detail --- These cooking times are for the National Deluxe rice cooker. The cooking time for rice may vary according to different brands of rice cookers. It is desirable but not essential to soak the rice in 8 cups water with 2 tablespoons salt for 2 to 24 hours. This is especially good for older basmati-type rice. For AMERICAN long-grain rice, use only 3 cups of water and wash the rice once.
Among other long-grain types of rice, choose those that are long, thick, and sleek at the tip. Copyright (c) 1994 by Najmieh Khalili Batmanglij. Persian Cooking for a Healthy Kitchen. Washington, D.C: Mage (Pub 800 - 962-0922) [prepared for McRecipe by patH 09/22/1996 (Sun)]
Recipe By : Persian Cooking for a Healthy Kitchen From: Date: