Yield: 4 servings
|1 tablespoon||Olive oil|
|1 small||Onion(s), finely chopped|
|1||Garlic clove(s) finely chopped|
|5 ounces||Mushrooms, finely chopped (2 cups before chopping)|
|1 cup||Cooked green peas *|
|¼ cup||Vegetable stock (approx)|
|1 tablespoon||(to 2 tbs) dried bread crumbs|
|Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper|
* If using frozen peas, thaw but don't cook them.
1. Boil the eggs, starting with cold water, for 11 minutes. Rinse under cold water and peel. Halve the eggs and remove the yolks, reserving half of 1 yolk, discarding the remaining yolks. Coarsely chop the whites.
2. Heat he olive oil in a non-stick fry pan. Cook the onion and garlic over medium heat until soft but not brown, about 3 minutes.
Increase the heat to high and add the mushrooms. Cook until most of the mushroom liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the peas and vegetable stock and simmer until most of the stock is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Stir in enough bread crumbs to hold the mixture together. Coarsely pure the mushroom mixture with the hard-cooked egg white in the food processor and let cool. Correct the seasoning, adding salt, pepper, or cayenne to taste.
4. Transfer the mixture to a bowl or serving plate. Push the reserved half egg yolk through a sieve over the Not Chopped Liver or finely chop it and sprinkle on top. Serve with saltine crackers or pita chips.
High-Flavor, Low-Fat Vegetarian Cooking by Steven Raichlen pg 3 Submitted By DIANE LAZARUS On 10-26-95