|6 ounces||Unsweetened chocolate, chopped|
|¾ cup||Unsalted butter, room temperature|
|2¼ cup||Granulated sugar|
|1½ teaspoon||Baking powder|
|\N \N||Raspberry filling:|
|¾ cup||Raspberry puree|
|2 tablespoons||Unsalted butter|
|1 \N||Egg yolk|
|\N \N||Chocolate frosting:|
|9 ounces||Semisweet chocolate, chopped|
|1½ cup||Unsalted butter|
|5 \N||Egg yolks|
|1¼ cup||Sifted powdered sugar|
|⅓ cup||Raspberry jam, melted, strained and cooled|
Choco1ate cake: 1. To prepare cake: Melt chocolate over hot (not boiling) water, stirring occasionally. cool to room temperature. In an electric mixer, cream butter and granulated sugar together; add eggs, one at a time, then beat in melted chocolate and vanilla.
2. Sift flour, salt and baking powder together. Add the flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk, to the chocolate mixture; beat until smooth.
3. Transfer batter evenly to 3 buttered and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 25 minutes, or until cake tests done. Invert onto racks and cool completely.
4. To prepare filling: Heat raspberry puree in a 1-quart saucepan, stirring in sugar and butter. Whisk the egg and yolk together, add some of hot mixture to eggs, then put back into remaining puree. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a glass bowl, cover with wax paper and chill completely.
5. To prepare frosting: Melt chocolate over hot (not boiling) water in the top of a double boiler. Cool to room temperature. Cream the butter with an electric mixer; beat in egg yolks, cooled chocolate, and vanilla.
Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
6. To assemble cake: Reserve ¾ cup frosting. Place one cake layer on serving platter and place strips of wax paper under edges of cake. Spread some of frosting on cake, top with half of raspberry filling. On bottom of the second layer, again spread on a coating of frosting and invert onto first layer, frosting side down. Coat top of second layer with frosting, spread with remaining filling. Again spread bottom of third layer with frosting and invert onto second layer. Spread sides and top with frosting.
7. Spoon raspberry jam into a paper decorating cone with a thin tip and drizzle over top of cake. Transfer remaining frosting into pastry bag with medium star tip and pipe small rosettes around top edge of cake, and again around bottom edge.
8. Chill 1 hour before serving.