Yield: 48 Servings
|4½ cup||All-purpose flour|
|1 tablespoon||Baking powder|
|½ pounds||Unsalted butter; in 1 oz. pieces|
|2 tablespoons||Lemon zest; minced|
|1 teaspoon||Lemon extract|
|6 ounces||Semisweet chocolate; chopped in 1/4" bits|
1. Preheat the oven to 325.
2. In a sifter combine 4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Sift onto a large piece of wax paper and set aside until needed.
3. Place the sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle. Beat on medium for 2 minutes until soft. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl, then beat on high for 4 minutes until very smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating on medium for 1 minute and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Add the lemon zest and extract and beat on high for 30 seconds. Operate the mixer on low while gradually adding the sifted dry ingredients. Once all of the dry ingredients have been incorporated, about 30 seconds, turn off the mixer and add the chopped chocolate and mix on low for 30 seconds. Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a rubber spatula to finish mixing the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
4. Transfer the biscotti dough to a clean, dry, lightly floured workspace.
Divide the dough into 4 equal portions, and shape each into a log 8 inches long, 2½ inches wide and 1 ¼ inches high (using the remaining flour to prevent sticking). Carefully place 2 logs, about 2 inches apart, onto each of the 2 baking sheets lines with parchment paper.
5. Bake the biscotti logs on the top and center racks of the preheated oven for 35 minutes, until lightly browned and firm to the touch, rotating the sheets halfway through the baking time. Remove the logs from the oven and reduce the the oven temperature to 275.
6. Allow the logs to cool for about 15 minutes at room temperature before handling. Place the logs on a cutting board. Using a very sharp serrated knife, trim the rounded ends from each logs. Cut each log into ½-inch diagonal slices (about 12 slices per log). Divide the slies onto 4 baking sheets lines with parchment paper.
7. Bake the biscotti slices on the top and center racks of the preheated oven for 30 minutes until crisp and evenly browned, rotating the sheets halfway through the baking time. remove the biscotti and allow them to cool thoroughly before storing in a tightly sealed plastic container.
Recipe by: Death by Chocolate Cookies by Marcel Desaulniers, p. 92 Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #952 by Sue <suechef@...> on Dec 10, 1997