Yield: 6 Servings
|3 slices||Fresh ginger root|
|½ cup||Soy sauce|
|1 \N||Duck; 4 to 5 pounds|
|6 tablespoons||Oil (up to)|
1. Mince scallions and ginger root. Combine with soy sauce and sherry.
2. Wipe duck with a damp cloth; then rub inside and out with mixture (reserve the remainder)--Let duck stand 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a large heavy pan. Brown duck lightly on all sides. Drain off fat.
4. Add water and reserved mixture and bring to a boil; then simmer, covered, 1 hour.
5. Add sugar and simmer, covered, until tender (about 30 minutes more).
VARIATION: In step 2 rub duck instead with a mixture of 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons sherry, 4 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 teaspoon salt. Omit step 1 and the sugar in step 5.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .