Yield: 1 Batch
|125 grams||Sugar (castor or icing)|
|125 grams||Self-raising flour|
|125 grams||Plain flour|
Cream the butter and sugar, add egg and flavouring, mix thoroughly.
Add sifted flours and mix to a smooth dough. Knead to a creamy consistency on a floured surface. Roll and cut as you wish. Bake on a greased tray in a moderate oven 350deg F (180C) for 15-20 mins.
Variations ~~~~~~~~~~ 1. Almond: Use almond essence as flavouring.
Place in small teasoons on greased oven tray. Place ½ almond on top of each.
2. Chocolate: Omit 1 tablespoon flour, add 1 tablespoon cocoa and a few drops of rum essence and/or grated chocolate or chocolate chips.
3. Cinnamon: Omit 1 tablespoon flour, add 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
4. Coconut: Omit 3 tablespoons flour, add 3 tablespoons desicated coconut.
5. Cherry and Coconut: Omit 1 tablespoon flour, add 1 tablespoon coconut, 90g chopped glace cherries, grated rind 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Roll in small balls in extra coconut.
6. Bran: Substitute bran for plain flour. Roll to ⅛" thickness, cut into fingers. Serve with butter and honey.
7. Oatmeal: Omit 125g plain flour, substitute 90g oatmeal, chopped finely in a blender, few drops of vanilla essence. Use wholemeal S.R.
flour. Roll out thinly, cut into shapes.
From "NMAA Cooks - Recipes for Busy Mothers - 1975" Typed by Vicki Crawford