|1||8 oz can Almond Paste|
|1½ cup||Butter -- softened|
|1 cup||Granulated sugar|
|4||Eggs -- separated|
|1 teaspoon||Almond extract|
|2 cups||All-purpose flour -- sifted|
|10 drops||Liquid green food coloring|
|8 drops||Liquid red food coloring|
|1||12 oz jar Apricot preserves|
|2½ ounce||Semi-sweet chocolate|
|(2 1/2 squares)|
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat three 13x9x2-inch pans with nonstick cooking spray; line with waxed paper, allowing paper to come up the short ends; spray paper.
2. Break up almond paste in large bowl. Add butter, sugar, egg yolks and almond extract. Beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy, 5 minutes.
3. Beat in flour and salt.
4. Beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into almond mixture until well blended.
5. Divide mixture into three equal portions. Add green food coloring to one portion and red coloring to another, leaving the last portion yellow. Separately spread each colored portion into prepared pans.
6. Bake in preheated 350F oven 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately remove the cakes from pans, using the waxed paper overhang.
7. Heat apricot preserves in small saucepan; strain through sieve.
Place green cake layer on jelly-roll pan. Spread half of warm preserves over layer to edges; slide yellow layer on top; spread with remaining apricot preserves; slide pink layer, right side up, onto yellow layer.
8. Cover with plastic wrap; weight down with large wooden cutting board or heavy plate. Place in refrigerator overnight.
9. Melt chocolate in double boiler over hot water. Trim edges off cake. Spread melted chocolate to edges of cake; let dry 10 minutes or until hardened. Cut into 1-inch squares.
Per serving: 91 cal, 1 g pro, 5 g fat, 10 g carb, 52 mg sod, 22 mg chol
typed by Tiffany Hall-Graham
Recipe By : from Family Circle 11/23/93 From: Marjorie Scofield Date: 04-22-95 (160) Fido: Recipes
Random recipe of the day