|8 ounces||English Veal Mince|
|4 ounces||Back bacon; finely chopped|
|2 teaspoons||Finely chopped lemon rind|
|1 teaspoon||Dried thyme|
|1 teaspoon||Dried nutmeg|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1 pounds||Plain flour; sifted|
|6 ounces||White vegetable fat|
|8||Floz cold water|
|Egg beaten to glaze|
|2 teaspoons||Sunflower oil|
|3||Onions; thinly sliced|
|1 teaspoon||Dried sage|
|1||Clove garlic; crushed|
|½ pint||Chicken or beef stock|
|1||Sprig fresh sage to garnish|
FOR THE FILIING
FOR THE HOT WATER CRUST PAST
FOR THE ONION GRAVY
1. Serve the veal en croute with the onion gravy, and garnish with sprigs of sage. Delicious served with buttered baby new potatoes, mange tout and broccoli florets.
2. Preheat the oven to 200øC/400øF/Gas Mark 6.
3. Place the veal mince in a bowl, add the bacon, lemon rind, thyme, nutmeg and seasoning. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
4. For the pastry: place the flour in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
Heat the vegetable fat and water in a saucepanuntil the fat melts. pour into the flour. mix well into a smooth dough, kneading in the bowl. Allow to cool slightly.
5. Knead and roll the pastry out on a floured surface to a rectangle 30 cm x 20 cm (12 inch x 8 inch). Trim the edges and mark with a knife along the longest side at 7 cm (3 inch) intervals. Divide the pastry in half along the short side at 10 cm (4 inch). Cut along the longest side to make 8 rectangles.
6. Place 4 rectangles of pastry on to a baking sheet. Divide the veal mince into 4, shape into a narrow oblong and place along the centre of the pastry. Brush the edges with egg glaze and place the pastry lids on top, press and crimp the edges together. Prick with a fork. Brush with egg glaze.
7. Re-roll any trimmings and use to cut out leaves or pastry shapes. Use to decorate the pastry lids and brsuh with egg glaze.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
9. For the onion gravy, heat the oil in a small saucepan, add the onions, sage and garlic. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the onions are softened. Stir in the stock, seaon well and bring to the boil, then simmer for 3 minutes.
10. Serve the veal en croute with the onion gravy, and garnish with sprigs of sage. Delicious served with buttered baby new potatoes, mange tout and broccoli florets. Converted by MC_Buster.
NOTES : Delicious served with onion gravy, garnished with sage with buttered baby new potatoes, mange tout and broccoli florets.
Converted by MM_Buster v2.0l.
Random recipe of the day