|3 tablespoons||All-purpose flour|
|6 tablespoons||Ice cold water|
|½ cup||Fine breadcrumbs, lightly|
|½ teaspoon||Ground black pepper|
|1 pounds||Extra-firm tofu or soft tofu|
|...pressed and frozen, cut|
|...into 1-1/2-inch squares|
|Sesame oil for deep frying|
VARIATIONS: Unpressed tofu will cause the nuggets to remain moist inside and crisp and brown outside...sort of like fried mozzarella.
Use pressed and frozen tofu and you may have trouble telling these nuggets from fast food chicken nuggets. If you mix 2 tablespoons Sucanat or Florida Crystals with the crumbs instead of salt and pepper. The sugar caramelizes during frying, making these nuggets into a sweet snack sort of like fried ice cream.
1. In small bowl, whisk flour and water to make batter with the consistency of heavy cream.
2. On dish, toss breadcrumbs with salt and pepper.
3. If using soft tofu, press each piece in paper toweling to remove surface moisture and minimize splattering.
4. In heavy skillet, add 1 inch oil and heat to 375 degrees.
5. Dip each tofu square in batter to coat, then roll in breadcrumbs and drop immediately into hot oil. Cook 2 minutes, turn and continue cooking until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately. These cannot be made ahead.
Submitted By JANIE YOUNG On 02-07-95
Random recipe of the day