|Salt -- to taste|
|1 tablespoon||Olive oil|
|1 medium||Onion -- thinly slivered|
|1 small||Garlic clove -- minced|
|½ teaspoon||Ground cumin|
|2||Canned green chiles --|
|15 ounces||Canned tomato sauce|
|2 cups||Chicken stock|
|¼ pounds||Monterey jack cheese -- in inch cubes|
|Sour cream -- for garnish|
1. Fill a deep, heavy skillet with about ½ inch of vegetable oil. Heat oil to 350 to 375 degrees F. Cut tortillas in half, and then into ½-inch wide strips. Fry tortilla strips, about a third at a time, until crisp and lightly browned (about 2 minutes). Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain; salt lightly.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft, but not browned. Mix in garlic and cumin; then add green chiles, tomato sauce, stock, and water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bake fried tortilla strips in a single layer in a preheated 325 degree F oven 8 to 10 minutes. Place heatproof soup bowls on baking sheet in oven during last 5 minutes.
4. Remove hot soup bowls to a heatproof tray. Working quickly, divide hot tortilla strips among the bowls. Top with cheese cubes. Ladle hot soup over tortillas and cheese and serve at once.
5. Spoon in a little sour cream at the table, if desired.
Recipe By : The California Culinary Academy From: Emory!hpclbis.Cup.Hp.Com!juliar@sdate: Thu, 17 Mar 94 16:11:22 -0800 File
Random recipe of the day