|1½ cup||Tomato Juice|
|2 tablespoons||Vegetable Shortening, Solid|
|1 pack||Active Dry Yeast|
|¼ cup||Warm Water|
|6 cups||(To 7) All-Purpose Flour|
1. Over moderate heat, heat the tomato juice, shortening, sugar, salt, and ketchup until the shortening is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Pour into a large bowl and let cool.
2. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and let stand 10 mins, or until bubbling. Add to the cooled juice mixture.
3. Gradually add 3 cups of flour and beat it with a wooden spoon, or a dough hook (electric mixer). Beat 2 to 3 mins, or until smooth.
4. Gradually mix in 3 to 3½ cups more flour to make a soft, but not sticky, dough. Knead well on a lightly floured work surface until the dough is smooth and elastic, 10 min or more.
5. Gather the dough into a ball and put it in a greased bowl and turn so all surfaces are greased. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
6. Punch the dough down, dividing it into 2 parts and let them rest and rise for 10 mins, covered with a kitchen towel.
7. Form into loaves and put them into 2 greased 8- or 9-inch bread pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 mins.
* Preheat oven to 375 F.
8. Bake the loaves for 35 to 40 mins, or until golden brown and hollow sounding when thumped. Remove from pans. Cool on racks. Serve with cheese spread.
From the PARK COUNTY FAIR of Livingston, Mont. Fair Dates: Late July, Early August for 4 days.
Recipe By : The County Fair Cookbook - ISBN 0-7868-6014-6 From: Dan Klepach Date: 04-05-95 (159) Fido: Cooking
Random recipe of the day