|½ cup||Bamboo shoots|
|½ cup||Snow peas|
|1 teaspoon||Soy sauce|
1. Skin and bone chicken; then dice. Dice bamboo shoots and celery. Stem snow peas. Crush garlic.
2. Heat oil. Add salt, then garlic and stir-fry a few times. Add chicken and stir-fry until it loses its pinkness (about 2 minutes).
3. Add diced vegetables and stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in stock and heat quickly. Then cook, covered, over medium heat until vegetables are done (2 to 3 minutes). Meanwhile blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste.
4. Add snow peas, then soy sauce and sugar to pan; stir in 1 minute. Then stir in cornstarch paste to thicken. Serve at once. VARIATIONS: 1. For the snow peas, substitute water chestnuts, diced; add with other diced vegetables.
2. For the celery, substitute Chinese cabbage stems.
3. In step 3, add ½ cup canned button mushrooms.
4. At the end of step 4, garnish with 8 to 10 whole almonds, blanched and toasted.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .
Random recipe of the day