|½ pounds||Lean beef|
|2 tablespoons||Soy sauce|
|1 pounds||String beans|
|½ cup||String-bean liquid|
1. Slice beef thin against the grain. Combine cornstarch, sherry, soy sauce, sugar and salt. Add to beef and toss to coat.
2. Stem string beans. Cut lengthwise in strips and parboil. (Reserve parboiling liquid.)
3. Heat oil. Add beef and stir-fry until it loses its redness. Remove from pan.
4. Heat remaining oil. Add string beans and stir-fry to coat with oil.
5. Stir in reserved string-bean liquid and heat quickly. Return beef and cook, covered, over medium heat, 2 minutes. Serve at once. VARIATION: In step 1, omit the cornstarch mixture. In step 3, stir-fry the string beans first and remove from pan. In step 4, stir-fry the beef until it loses its redness. Then stir in with the beef a mixture of ¼ teaspoon sugar, ½ teaspoon brown bean sauce and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Return the string beans and stir-fry a few times. Then pick up step 5.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .
Random recipe of the day