|1 tablespoon||Fermented black beans|
|1 pounds||Bitter melon|
|½ pounds||Lean beef|
|2 teaspoons||Soy sauce|
1. Soak fermented black beans.
2. Cut bitter melon lengthwise in half. Scoop out seeds; then cut in ¼-inch slices. Parboil 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Slice beef thin against the grain. Combine cornstarch, soy sauce, salt and sugar. Add to beef and toss to coat.
4. Blend water and remaining cornstarch to a paste. Drain soaked black beans. Mince garlic and mash with beans.
5. Heat oil. Add remaining salt, then beef. Stir-fry until beef loses its redness (about 2 minutes). Remove from pan.
6. Heat remaining oil. Add black bean mixture and stir-fry a few times. Add bitter melon and stir-fry to heat and coat with oil (about 1 minute).
7. Stir in stock and heat quickly. Cook, covered, 2 minutes, over medium heat.
8. Return beef and stir-fry gently to reheat and blend flavors. Then stir in cornstarch paste to thicken. Serve at once.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .
Random recipe of the day