|Filling for eggplant|
1. Prepare either of the fillings "Eggplant Filling #1/#2".
2. Wash eggplant. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Stuff filling into bottom half of eggplant and cover with top half.
3. Place on a heatproof dish. Then steam until done (about 30 minutes). See "How-to Section".
4. Cut eggplant crosswise, through stuffing, in ½- to 1-inch slices, and serve. VARIATIONS:
1. To cut: Cut a 1-½ inch slice from each end of the eggplant, reserving the slices. With a sharp knife or apple corer, hollow out the eggplant's center about 1-inch in diameter. Then stuff with filling and replace the end slices, fastening them with toothpicks. After steaming, cut crosswise as in step 4.
2. To simmer: After step 2, boil 1-½ cups water. Add eggplant and simmer, covered, 45 minutes, turning several times for even cooking. Remove eggplant; slice and keep warm. Then add to liquids in pan 1 egg yolk, beaten; ½ teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper. Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens. Pour sauce over eggplant and serve.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .
Random recipe of the day