|2 tablespoons||Olive oil|
|1 large||Onion; chopped|
|2||Cloves garlic; crushed|
|500 grams||Frozen chopped spinach; thawed and drained|
|2 mediums||Size eggs|
|½ teaspoon||Ground nutmeg|
|250 grams||Ricotta or curd cheese; (8oz)|
|50 grams||Parmesan cheese; grated (2oz)|
|Salt and freshly ground pepper|
|350 grams||Plain wholemeal flour; (12oz)|
|175 grams||Margarine; (6oz)|
|1||Egg; size 3, beaten to|
FOR THE PASTRY
1. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion until softened.
2. Add the garlic and spinach and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly then beat in the eggs, nutmeg, cheeses and seasoning.
3. To make the pastry, place the flour in a bowl and rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Add enough water to mix to a firm dough then turn onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. 5. Cut off two thirds of the pastry, roll out thinly and use to line a 23cm (9 inch) flan dish, leaving the pastry overlapping the side.
6. Spread the filling evenly in the pastry case and moisten the pastry edges.
7. Roll out remaining pastry and cut into 5cm (¼ inch) strips.
8. Arrange in a lattice pattern over the filling and press the edges to secure.
9. Trim off any excess pastry and brush with the egg. Place in a preheated oven 200øC, 400 øF, Gas Mark 6 for 45-50 minutes, until golden.
Converted by MC_Buster.
NOTES : A delicious picnic pie served cold or an ideal supper dish with seasonal vegetables or a mixed salad.
Converted by MM_Buster v2.0l.
Random recipe of the day