|½ pounds||Lean country smoked ham|
|½ pounds||Green lentils|
|1 cup||Onions,finely chopped|
|2 tablespoons||Curry powder|
|5 cups||Fresh chicken broth or good quality canned|
|3||Sprigs fresh thyme -OR-|
|1 teaspoon||Dried thyme|
|Salt to taste|
|1 tablespoon||Red wine vinegar|
|2 tablespoons||Coriander,finely chopped|
(Curried Lentil Soup with Ham)
1. Remove most of the fat from the ham,and cut into ½" cubes.
2. Trim and scrape carrots, and cut into ¼" cubes.
3. Pick over lentils, wash them, and drain in colander.
4. Heat 1Tbs. butter in a soup kettle or saucepan. Add the ham,carrots,onions,garlic and curry powder. Cook briefly over med. heat, stirring until the onions have wilted.
5. Add the lentils, 4 cups broth, water, bay leaf, thyme, and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 24 to 30 mins., stirring occasionally.
6. Remove 1 cup of the soup with more lentils than liquid and set aside.
Discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
7. With a potato masher or wire whisk <i use an immersion blender - a.z.> stir the soup briskly to mash the lentils. Then return the soup to a boil and add the remaining cup of broth, along with the reserved lentil soup, the vinegar, and the remaining butter. <at this point I whisk vigorously to emulsify the butter and soup - a.z.> 8. Check for seasoning and serve sprinkled with coriander.
Posted to FOODWINE Digest 24 October 96 Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:31:53 -0400 From: "alexandra z." <madnorth@...>
Random recipe of the day