|1 large||Super-Sweet Onion -- * see|
|1 teaspoon||Vegetable Oil|
|¼ ounce||Cornflake Crumbs|
|pinch||Ground Red Pepper|
|½ cup||Nonfat Sour Cream|
|2 teaspoons||Reduced-Calorie Mayonnaise|
|1||To 2 Tsp.|
|½ small||Garlic Clove -- finely|
* about 1 pound; try Spanish Sweets 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2-cup round baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Trim root end of onion so that it stands upright. Slice off ½" from top and remove peel. With sharp knife, cut triangular slices to center of onion, slicing from top down and stopping ½" from bottom, working your way around onion to make several "petals." Place upright in microwave-safe, covered dish and drizzle evenly with oil; cover and microwave on High 1-½ - 2 minutes, until onion is slightly tender and petals have begun to separate.
3. In small bowl, combine cornflake crumbs, pepper and salt; set aside.
4. In medium bowl, beat egg white until foamy. Dip cooked onion into beaten white, coating petals thoroughly. Place in prepared baking dish and sprinkle evenly with cornflake crumb mixture. Bake until lightly browned and crisp, 10-12 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, to prepare dip, in small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, horseradish and garlic. (May be prepared up to 2 days ahead; cover and chill.)
6. Serve cooked onion immediately, with dip on the side.
Nutritional info: ⅛ onion + 1 tablespoon dip: 48 cal, 2 g pro, 7 g car, 1 g fat (0 g sat), 43 mg sod, 0 mg chol, 1 g fib.
I wouldn't mind calling this eight servings if it were understood that I get to eat at least four servings! Recipe By : Anne Goldberg <AG3@...> File
Random recipe of the day